Rahul Jodh, Mukund Tawar, Sudarshan Behere, Nandini Randhave, Prathamesh Jirapure, Samruddhi Ingle
Rahul Jodh*, Mukund Tawar, Sudarshan Behere, Nandini Randhave, Prathamesh Jirapure, Samruddhi Ingle
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, P. R. Pote Patil College of Pharmacy, Pote estate, Gajanan Twp Rd, Amravati, Maharashtra 444602.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2023
This review assesses the use of Calendula officinalis extract in antihyperlipidemic activities, cardiovascular activities, antidiabetic, hepatoprotective activities; anthelmintic activities; antioxidant activities; anti-inflammatory activities; wound healing activities; anticancer activities; hepatoprotective activities, antibacterial activities; and anti-HIV activities. C. officinalis extract has been shown to have some remedial effects and has been used in herbal remedies, according to this review. To examine the effect of calendula officinalis, larger as well as well-designed random control trials are needed. Calendula officinalis is a flowering plant that comes under the Asteraceae family. This herb is used as curative in Europe, China, and India. It's been the subject of a number of chemical and pharmacological research, and it's also known as "African marigold." It's commonly utilized in indigenous medicine to treat jaundice, wound recovery, plasma cleansing, and spasmolytic treatment. A vast range of chemicals, including amino acids, triterpenoids, coumarines, quinones, flavonoids, volatile oils, and carotenoids, have been found through chemical analysis.
Cite this article:
Rahul Jodh, Mukund Tawar, Sudarshan Behere, Nandini Randhave, Prathamesh Jirapure, Samruddhi Ingle. A Review on Calendula officinalis. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2023; 15(1):5-0. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2023.00002
Rahul Jodh, Mukund Tawar, Sudarshan Behere, Nandini Randhave, Prathamesh Jirapure, Samruddhi Ingle. A Review on Calendula officinalis. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2023; 15(1):5-0. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2023.00002 Available on: https://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-1-2
1. Malviya VR, Pande SD, Bobade NN. Preparation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Beads of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019 Dec 30;12(12):5972-6.
2. Malviya VR, Pande SD. Road CKN. Preparation ad Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenge. J Pharma Res. 2019;8(8):624-9.
3. Malviya V, Ladhake V, Gajbiye K, Satao J, Tawar M. Design and Characterization of Phase Transition System of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride for Nasal Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 May 31;13(3):4942-51.
4. Malviya V, Thakur Y, Gudadhe SS, Tawar M. Formulation and evaluation of natural gum based fast dissolving tablet of Meclizine hydrochloride by using 3 factorial design 2. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2020;6(2):94-100.
5. Malviya VR, Tawar MG. Preparation and Evaluation of Oral Dispersible Strips of Teneligliptin Hydrobromide for Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 Jan 31;13(1):4745-52.
6. Malviya V, Manekar S. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Mar 18;14(3):1535-41.
7. Malviya V. Preparation and Evaluation of Emulsomes as a Drug Delivery System for Bifonazole. Indian journal of pharmaceutical education and research. 2021 Jan 1;55(1):86-94.
8. Malviya V, Pande S. Development and Evaluation of Fast dissolving Film of Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Oct 31;14(10):5345-0.
9. Burange PJ, Tawar MG, Bairagi RA, Malviya VR, Sahu VK, Shewatkar SN, Sawarkar RA, Mamurkar RR. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using Aloe vera and Thuja orientalis leaves extract and their biological activity: a comprehensive review. Bulletin of the National Research Centre. 2021 Dec;45(1):1-3.
10. Malviya V. Design and Characterization of Thermosensitive Mucoadhesive Nasal Gel for Meclizine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2022 Feb 28;15(1):5782-93.
11. Malviya V, Burange P, Thakur Y, Tawar M. Enhancement of Solubility and Dissolution Rate of Atazanavir Sulfate by Nanocrystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jul 1;55(3):S672-80.
12. Jodh R, Tawar M, Burange P, Malviya V. A Pharmacological Review on Orchid Dactylorhiza hatagirea (D. Doon) Soo. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022 May 25;12(2):141-5.
13. Jodh R, Tawar M, Kachewar A, Ingole Y, Deshmukh T, Ijapure V. Pharmacological Review on Tobramycin. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022 May 25;12(2):137-42.
14. Malviya, Vedanshu, Mukund Tawar, Prashant Burange, and Rahul Jodh. "A Brief Review on Resveratrol." (2022): 157-162.
15. Jodh R, Tawar M, Kachewar A, Mahanur V, Sureka Y, Atole V. Pharmacological Review on Madhuca longifolia. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. 2022 Mar 1;12(1).
16. Jodh R, Tawar M, Kachewar A, Mahanur V, Surekha Y, Atole V. Preparation and Evaluation of Nail Lacquer containing Luliconazole as Ungual Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2022 Jun 30;15(3).
17. Sharma DB, Aphale P, Gandhi V, Chitlange SS, Thomas A. Qualitative Analysis of Calendula officinalis Homeopathic Mother Tincture with the help of high Performance Thin Layer Chromatography. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020 Mar 1;13(3):1113-6.
18. Muley BP, Khadabadi SS, Banarase NB, Sawarkar HA. The Antioxidant Activity of the Leaves and Petals of Calendula officinalis Linn. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009 Mar 28;2(1):173-5.
19. Tripathi A, Tyagi S, Singh G, Ghosh K, Gupta A. Exploration its Antioxidant and Immunogenic potential of protein: Calendula officinalis and Dianthus chinensis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Jun 29;14(6):2989-94.
20. Ali N, Al-Ani WM, Al-Jobouri IS. Assessment of Calendula officinal growing in Iraq. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Oct 1;14(10):5187-9.
21. Nwe TM, Nojeb BA, Wang JH, Julius MF, Johar NI, Latt SS, Yee KT, Lwin S. Medical Students’ Preference, Attitude and Perception toward Basic Medical Science Subjects in a Public University, East Malaysia. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Jun 29;14(6):3232-8.
22. Patel AI, Ram K, Guttikar S, Vyas AK, Patel AB, Patel NK, Trivedi V. Rapid, sensitive and simple lc-ms/ms method development and validation for estimation of phenytoin in human plasma by using deuterated internal standard. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Jun 29;14(6):2937-44.
23. Rajasekaran R, Suresh PK. Physical and chemical methods of extraction of bioactive molecules from Lepidium sativum Linn. And antioxidant activity-based screening and selection of extracts-probable phytochemical, chromatography and mass spectroscopy analysis-based correlates. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Jun 29;14(6):3082-92.
24. Leach MJ. Calendula officinalis and Wound Healing: A Systematic Review. Wounds: a compendium of clinical research and practice. 2008 Aug 1;20(8):236-43.
25. Muley BP, Khadabadi SS, Banarase NB. Phytochemical constituents and pharmacological activities of Calendula officinalis Linn (Asteraceae): a review. Tropical journal of pharmaceutical research. 2009;8(5).
26. Chaparzadeh N, D'Amico ML, Khavari-Nejad RA, Izzo R, Navari-Izzo F. Antioxidative responses of Calendula officinalis under salinity conditions. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 2004 Sep 1;42(9):695-701.
27. Kishimoto S, Maoka T, Sumitomo K, Ohmiya A. Analysis of carotenoid composition in petals of calendula (Calendula officinalis L.). Bioscience, biotechnology, and biochemistry. 2005 Jan 1;69(11):2122-8.
28. Jan N, Andrabi KI, John R. Calendula officinalis-an important medicinal plant with potential biological properties. InProc Indian Natn Sci Acad 2017 Dec 1 (Vol. 83, No. 4, pp. 769-787).
29. Kalvatchev Z, Walder R, Garzaro D. Anti-HIV activity of extracts from Calendula officinalis flowers. Biomedicine and pharmacotherapy. 1997 Apr 1;51(4):176-80.
30. Kemper KJ. Calendula (Calendula officinalis). Longwood Herbal Task Force. 1999;1.