The present study on Benincasa hispida plant shows the various type of medicinal uses according to their Phytoconstituent. There are many pharmacological activities was reported on this plant. The plant fruit mainly use for its medicinal purposes and it has good result as medicinal use. The another parts of Benincasa hispida plant are also used for medicative function. This plant is use for as anti-inflammtory property. There is various type of pharmacological of this plant are antioxidant, anticancer antidiabetic, CNS effect, anthelmintic, anticonvulsant. This sugar also presents into the pulp of Benincasa hispida. The purpose of study of this plant is to investigate the all pharmacological activities.
Cite this article:
Wani Chaitali, Priya Rao, S R Vikhe. Phytochemical Study and Pharmacological activities of Benincasa hispida-Review. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2022; 14(2):119-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2022.00022
Wani Chaitali, Priya Rao, S R Vikhe. Phytochemical Study and Pharmacological activities of Benincasa hispida-Review. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2022; 14(2):119-3. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2022.00022 Available on: https://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-14-2-10
1. Nimbal S.K, Venkatrao N, Ladde S and Pujar B. Anxiolytic evaluation of Benincasa hispida (Thumb) Cogn. fruit extracts. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science Research 2011; 1 (3) 93-97.
2. Zaini N.A.M, Anwar F, Abdul Hamid. A and Saari N. Kundur [Benincasa hispida (Thub.) Cogn.]: A potential source for valuable nutrients and functional foods. Food Res Int 2011; 44:2368-2376.
3. Joshi S. Benincasa hispida. In: Joshi S, editor. Medicinal Plants 2000 P.no - 152.
4. Blatter E, Caius J.F and Mhaskar K.S (eds.). Indian Medicinal Plants, 2nd vol, Bishen Singh Mahendra Palsingh 1975 pp 1126- 1128.
5. Sharma P.V. Medhyadi Varg. In The Dravya Gun-Vijnana Vegetable Drugs. Sharma PV (ed.) Chaukhambha Bharti Academy, Varanasi 2005 P. no-14.
6. Jayasree T, Kishore K, Vinay M, Vasavi P, Chandrasekhar N, Manohar VS and Dixit R. Evaluation of the Diuretic effect of the chloroform extract of the Benincasa hispida rind (Pericarp) Extract in Guinea-pigs. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2011;5(3): 578-582.
7. Iqbal Hussain, Riaz Ullah, Rooh Ullah, Muhammad Khurram, Naseem Ullah, Abdul Baseer et al, Phytochemical analysis of selected medicinal plants. African journal of Biotechnology. 2011; 10(38): 7487- 7492.
8. Ames B.M, Shigena M.K and Hagen T.M. Oxidants, antioxidant and the degenerative diseases of aging proceeding of the National Academy of sciences. 1993; 90: 7915-7922.
9. F. L. X.N Zhang, W Wang, D.M Xing, W.D Xie, H. Su and L.J. Du. Evidence of antiobesity effects of pomegranate leaf extract in high fat diet induced obese mice. International journal of obesity. 2007; 31:1023-1029.
10. Grover J.K, Adiga G, Vats V, Rathi S.S, Extracts of Benincasa hispida prevent development of experimental ulcers. J Ethnopharmacol. 2001; 78: 159-64.
11. Chandrababu S, Umamaheshwari S. Studies on the anti-inflammatory activity of fruit rind extract of Benincasa hispida Cogn. Indian Drugs. 2002; 39: 651-3.
12. Anilkumar D, Ramu P. Effect of methanolic extract of Benincasa hispida against histamine and acetyl choline induced bronchospasm in guinea pigs. Indian J Pharmacol. 2002; 34: 365-361.
13. Rashmi S.P, Yogendra P, Pranay W, Ankita W. Benincasa hispida-brihatphala A –review cited on 22January 2018.
14. Kuntal Ghosh, M. S. Baghel A Pharmacognostical and Phytochemical study of Benincasa hispida -Ayurvedic review, International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy, June 2011, 1664-1668.
15. Nadkarni A.K In: Indian Materia Medica. Popular Prakashan. Bombay, India. 1976;185-6.
16. Wollen weber E, Faure R and Gaydou E.M. A rare triterpene as major constitute of the “wax” on fruits of Benincasa hispida. Indian drugs. 1991;28(10):458-460.
17. Yashizumi S, Murakam T, Kadoya M, Matsuda H, Yamahara J and Yoshikava M. Histamine release inhibitors from the fruits of Benincasa hispida (thub). Yakugaku Zassi. 1998;118(5):188-192
18. Rajalakshmi. C, Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, Phytochemical analysis of the leaves of Benincasa hispida, 2018, page no-2827-2828.
19. P. K. Saxsena et al, International journal of pharmaceutical and chemical science, Another look on Benincasa hispida, June 2016 Page no-150-156.
20. Zulfkar Latief Qadrie1, R. Anandan, Md. Mushtaque, K. Ashok Kumar, Humaira Ashraf, Anthelmintic and Anticonvulsant studies of ethanolic extract of Benincasa hispida seeds. Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology. The Oxford College of Pharmacy, Bangalore, India 2011, page no-1298-1302.
21. Ashok Rathan. Antimicrobials in laboratory medicine (B.I Churchill Livingstone Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi); 2000, 194-203.
22. Chiranjib Bhattacharjee, Subal Debnath, G. Ganesh Kumar, Santhosh Kumar C, T. Shivaraj GoudaIndo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, Anthelmintic activity of root of Benincasa hispida (Petha), 2011, 1-6.
23. Nadira B. S.T. Debnath, et al, Journal of biochemistry, Antioxidant activity of Benincasa seed,2011,1-6
24. Noriham Abdullah, Wan Saidatul Syida, Wan Kamarudin, Zainal Samicho, KhairusySyakirah Zulkifli and Nurain AzimanStudy on Antioxidant Capacity and Phenolic Content of Various Parts of Wax Gourd (Benincasa hispida),2012, 1052-1056.
25. Noriham Abdullah, Wan Saidatul Syida Wan Kamarudin, Zainal Samicho, Nurain Aziman and Khairusy, International Journal of PharmTech Research, Evaluation ofIn-Vitro Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Activities of the Various Parts of Benincasa hispida, 2012,1367-1376.
26. Shrishti B, Amrita K, Atul K, et al American journal of pharmatech research, evalution of Benincasa hispida fruit extract,2013, 335-345.
27. Rana, S. and Suttee, A. (2012). Phytochemical investigation and evaluation of free radical scavenging potential of Benincasa hispida peel extracts. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Review and Research (2012) 3(3):43-46.
28. Sarmad Abdul Razak Abood Alsaadi1 and Kasim Sakran Abass.Benincasa Hispida Is An Antioxidant Of Possible Physiological Importance: A Comparativ Review 2020, 2833-2838.
29. Kanakam Vijayabhaskar and Puram Paramesh.Evaluation of antihistaminic activity of Benincasa hispida flower aqueous extract for histamine aerosol induces bronchoconstriction in guinea pig. World journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences, 2015, 751-760.
30. Wafaa E. Soliman, Salman Khan, Syed Mohd Danish Rizvi, Afrasim Moin, Heba S. Elsewedy, Amr S. Abulila and Tamer M. ShehataTherapeutic Applications of Biostable Silver Nanoparticles Synthesized Using Peel Extract of Benincasa hispida: Antibacterial and Anticancer, 5 Sep 2020, 1-13.
31. Hamouda, R.A.; Hussein, M.H, Abo-elmagd R.A, Bawazir S.S, Synthesis and biological characterization of silver nanoparticles derived from the cyanobacterium Oscillatoria limnetica. Sci. Rep. 2019, 9, 13071.
32. Tahir L, Chand B and Rahman S. Antibacterial study on Benincasa hispida and Nigella sativa oil. J Pharm 2013, 4 (4): 121-122.
33. Natarajan D, Lavarasan RJ, Chandra babu S, Sahib MACS, Refai T and Thameemul –Ansari LH. Antimicrobial studies on methanolic extract of Benincasa hispida. Ancient science of life 2003; XXII: 98-100.
34. Ali Esmail Al-Snafi, The Pharmacological Importance of Benincasa hispida. A review, International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research, Dec 2013,165-170.
35. N.K. Parida, M.R. Sahu, P.C. Dbata and P.K. Panda, Antinociceptive and Anti-inflammatory- Effects of Methanolic Extract of Benincasa hispida Fruit Peel in Rodents, (2010), 7573-7579.
36. M. Maghrani, N. Zeggwagh, M. Haloui, M. Eddouks. J. Ethnopharmacol. 2005, 99, 31-35.
37. Jayasree Tirumalasetty, Chandrasekhar. N and A. Naveen Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, Evaluation of diuretic activity of ethanol extract of Benincasa hispida stem in swiss albino rats, 2013,91-97.
38. Qadrie ZL, Tayebhawisan N, Alikhan MW, Samuel M and Anandan R. Antinociceptive and anti-pyretic activity of Benincasa hispida (Thunb) Cogn. in Wistar albino rats. Pak J Pharm Sci 2009; 22(3):287-290
39. Jayasree T, Kishore KK, Vinay M, Vasavi P, Dixit R, Rajanikanth M and Manohar VS. Diuretic effect of the chloroform extract of the Benincasa hispida rind (Pericarp) extract in Sprague – Dawley rats. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology 2011; 2(2): 94-99.
40. Kumar A and Ramu P. Effect of methanolic extract of Benincasa hispida against histamine and acetylcholine induced bronchospasm in Guinea pigs. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 2002; 34: 365-366.
41. Nimbal SK, Venkatrao N, Ladde S and Pujar B. Anxiolytic evaluation of Benincasa hispida (Thunb) Cogn. fruit extracts. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science Research 2011; 1 (3) 93-97.
42. Girdhar S, Wanjari M, Prajapati SK and Girahar A. Evaluation of anti-compulsive effect of methanolic extract of Benincasa hispida Cogn. fruit in mice. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica n Drug Research 2010; 67(4): 417-421.
43. Dhingra D and Joshi P. Antidepressant-like activity of Benincasa hispida fruits in mice: Possible involvement of monoaminergic and GABAergic systems. Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics 2016; 3(1): 60-61.
44. Dhiman K, Sharma P, Bajwa J, Sood S, Sharma PD, Singh B and Bali M. Evaluation of free radical scavenging and antiulcer potential of methanolic extract of Benincasa hispida seeds. Research Journal of Medicinal Plant2011; 5 (5): 596-604.
45. Manish A. Rachchh, Sunita M. Jain; Gastroprotective effect of Benincasa hispida fruit extract; Indian Journal Pharmacology;2008;40(6):271-275
46. Abhishek Mahatma, Abhijit Sonowal and M Santhosh Kumar, Evaluation of Antidiabetic Potential of Methanolic Extract of Benincasa hispida In Streptozotocin Induced Diabetic RatsInternational Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research, 2015; Vol. 6(8): 3334-3343.