D. Benito Johnson, R. Sivasakthi, Nazzneen M.V, R. Venkatanarayanan
D. Benito Johnson*, R. Sivasakthi, Nazzneen M.V, R. Venkatanarayanan
Department of Pharmacology, RVS College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sulur, Coimbatore – 641402 Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2021
India is known for its traditional medicinal system – Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani. There are several references in our ancient literature about the miraculous curing properties of the plant-based drugs. “Rig Veda and Atharva veda” seems to be the earliest record of use of plant in the medicine. A stomach ulcer involves an erosion in a person’s gastrointestinal tract. ‘Peptic’ is derived from Greek word “Peptikos” who’s meaning is related to digestion. Peptic ulcer occurs in the part of the gastrointestinal track which is exposed to gastric acid and pepsin (i.e) the stomach and duodenum. The extract of Tephrosia purpurea flowers against viruses and is very good antibacterial against Gram +ve and Gram -ve strain. The Plant extract was prepared and the phytochemical analysis was performed. The extract was administered with animals. The drug were administered orally once daily for 2 days and 45 min prior to pyloric ligation. The animals are sacrificed after four hours of pylorus ligation. The result indicates that, Flavonoids and Tannins have shown to be present in the TPAL treated groups. Since flavanoids antagonize aggressive factor which play a decisive role in the pathogenesis of gastric lesion and also enhance defence factor to protect the gastric mucosa from injury. Flavanoids diminish histamine secretion from mast cell by inhibition of histidine decarboxylase and stimulate PG biosynthesis. So the antiulcer activity of TPAL may be attributed to its flavonoid content. The study concluded that TPAL has an anti ulcer activity which may be due to protection and the strengthening of the mucosal defensive factor like mucus, bicarbonate, prostaglandin.
Cite this article:
D. Benito Johnson, R. Sivasakthi, Nazzneen M.V, R. Venkatanarayanan. Evaluation of Anti-Ulcer activity of Tephrosia purpurea Linn Pers Leaf Extract in Wistar Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2021; 13(4):174-8. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2021.00029
D. Benito Johnson, R. Sivasakthi, Nazzneen M.V, R. Venkatanarayanan. Evaluation of Anti-Ulcer activity of Tephrosia purpurea Linn Pers Leaf Extract in Wistar Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2021; 13(4):174-8. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2021.00029 Available on: https://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-4-3
1. Srivatsava RC, Drug- Plant Resources of Central India, P.No.3, 5, 7.
2. Vinod Matole, Yogesh Thorat, Shrishail Ghurghure, Suyash Ingle, Avinash Birajdar, Gajanand Nangare, Moulavi Safwan, Saili Madur, Smeeta Patil, Zainab Bagalkote, Aishwarya Sakhare. A Brief Review on Herbal Medicines. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2021; 13(2):101-2
3. Mamatha M K, Suma US, Annegowda HV. The Ascent of Polyherbal Formulation in the Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2020; 12(4):256-260
4. Maharaja P, Sengottuvel T, Aarthi A, Gopalasatheeskumar K. Review on Antioxidant and Hepatoprotective activity of Medicinal plants against Paracetamol Induced animal model. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2020; 12(2): 114-119.
5. Sudhish Rai, Ashish Vaishnav, Anish Chandy, Mamta Singh, M.P. Singh. Antipyretic activity of Ethanolic Extract of Premna corymbosa Rottl. Leaves (Verbenacea). Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2011; 3(6): 278-280
6. Anosike Chioma Assumpta, Obidoa Onyechi, Nwodo Okwesilieze Fredrick C., Joshua Parker Elijah. Anti-Ulcerogenic and Membrane Stabilization Effect of Ethanol Extract of Coconut (Cocos nucifera). Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2010; 2(1): 85-88.
7. P. Muthukumaran, K. Pattabiraman. Anti-Ulcer Effects of Ipomoea aquatica forsk Leaves against Gastric Ulcers in Rats. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2010; 2(6): 468-471.
8. P.K. Panda, V.J. Patro, P.K. Mohanty, S.K. Panda, Y.A. Jaliwalla. Antiulcer Activity of Cassia mimosoides Bark Extract and Its Comparison with Ranitidine in Shay Rat. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2011; 3(4): 166-168.
9. Himgauri V. Naik, Navanath Chavan, Himanshu A. Deshmukh, Pratip K. Chaskar, Nikhil S. More. Study of Antiulcer Activity of Leaves of Sesbania grandiflora Linn. (Fabaceae). Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2012; 4(6): 322-325.
10. D. Benito Johnson, C. Senthil Kumar, C. Glince Raphael, R. Venkatnarayanan and Siraj Kattupparuthi. Gastroprotective Activity of Avipathi Choornam. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2013; 5(1): 37-41.
11. Poonia Lalita, Singh Gajendra Kamal, Nagori Badri Prakash. Anti-ulcer activity of Cleome viscose linn. against gastric ulcer in rats. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2013; 5(3): 115-118.
13. Kokate C.K, Purohit A.P, Gokhale S.H, Text book of Pharmacognosy, P.No.3
14. D.Rangari, Text book of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, Vol-1, 2000, P.No.6-27.
15. Harsh Mohan. Text book of Pathology. 2010:6:550/554. ulcer diagram Available from: www.wanderiner.blogspot.com. Anne M. R. Agur; Moore, Keith L. (2007). Essential Clinical Anatomy (Point (Lippincott Williams and Wilkins)). Hagerstown, MD: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. P. 150.
16. David. E. Golan, Principles of Pharmacology, The Pathophysiologic basis of Drug therapy, 2nd Edition, P.No. 811-817.