Cancer is the term to a large group of diseases that varies in type and location but have one thing is common abnormal cell growing out of control. Cancer is a frightful disease and represents one of the biggest health-care issues for the human race and demands a proactive strategy for cure. Plants are reservoirs for novel chemical entities and provide a promising line for research on cancer. Plants and plant derived products are Simple, safer, eco-friendly, low-cost, fast, and less toxic as compared with conventional treatment methods. Phytochemicals are considered suitable candidates for anticancer drug development due to their pleiotropic actions on target events with multiple manners. The purpose of this brief review is to assemble current literature on herbal drug and to focus on their mechanism of action.
Cite this article:
Mohammed Shakir Ghouse. An Overview on plant derived Anticancer Drugs. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2020; 12(4):235-244. doi: 10.5958/0975-4385.2020.00040.0
Mohammed Shakir Ghouse. An Overview on plant derived Anticancer Drugs. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2020; 12(4):235-244. doi: 10.5958/0975-4385.2020.00040.0 Available on: https://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-12-4-9
1. Chaudhari Gulshan and Dewakar Kumar manoj, Review Article on Role of Herbs in Preventing Cancer, International Research Journal of Pharmacy 2014, 5(4).
2. Debjit Bhawmik, M Umadevi, K. P. Sampath Kumar, S. Duraivel, Traditionally Used Anticancer Herbs in India, Journal of Medicinal Plant Studies, 2013
3. Deepshikha Arya, Sumeet Goel, Prashant Shinde, G. S. Joshi, Om Raj Sharma, S.K. Sharma, Dysoxylum Biacteferum Hook. F.: A Promising Herbal Drug Used in Folk Medicine by Tharu Community of Utterakhand, World Journal Pharmaceutical Research, 2017
4. Dhanalakshmi M., Thenmozhi S., Pradeepti K. G., Prabhavathi K., Priyadharshini S., A Review on Medicinal Plant with Anticancer Activity, International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Archives,2017.
5. G. Velasco, C. Sanchez, M. Guzman, Review Article on anticancer Mechanism of Cannbinoids, Current Oncology a Canadian Cancer Research Journal, 2016
6. Manivel G., Kandasamy C. S., Hariprasad R., Bashar K., Jagadeesh S., Venkantanarayanam R., Review on Anticancer Activity of Medicinal Plants, International Journal of Advance Research Ideas and Innovations in Technology, 2017
7. Mohammed Kuddus, Ibrahim A. M. Ginawi and Awdah a Hazimi, Cannabis Satva: An ancient wild edible plant of India, Review Article. 2013, 25(10) 736-745.
8. Nidhi Agarwal, Chandana majee, G. S. Chakraborthy, Natural Herbs as Anticancer Drugs, Int. J. Of Pharma Tech Research, 2012
9. O. P. Chaurasia, B. Ballabh, A. Tayade, Raj Kumar, G. Phani Kumar And S. B. Singh, Podophyllum L: An Endergered and Anticancerous Medicinal Plant- An Overview, Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, 2012
10. Pia Fyhrquist, Traditional Medicinal uses and biological activities of some plant extracts of African Combrectum Loefl, Terminalia L. and pteleopsis Engl. Species (Combretaceae).
11. Preeti Singh Sisodiya., Plant Derived Anticancer Agent: A Review, International Journal of Research and Development in Pharmacy and Life Science 2013, 2(2), 293-308.
12. Punia Sandeep, Kaur Jagjit, Kumar Raman and Kumar Kuldeep, Catharanthus Roseus: A Medicinal plant with potent anti tumor properties, Review Article, Int. J. Res. Ayurveda Pharm. 5(6) 2014.
13. R. Das, D. k. Mehta, A. k. Chaudhari and M. U. Khan, Impotant Herbs in Treatment of Cancer, Int. J. Res. Dev. Pharm. L. Sci. 2012, 1(3), 135-142
14. Rajdeep Kaur, Jagpreet Singh, Gagandeep Singh, Harpreet Kaur, Anticancer Plant: A Review, J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resource, 2011
15. Rohit Kumar Bijauliya, Shashi Alok, Man Singh, Shanti Bhushan Mishra., A Comperhensive Review on Cancer and Anticancer Herbal Drugs, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research, 2015
16. Sharma A. K., Dhyani Srishti, Kaur Ganan Deep, Taxus Buccata LINN: A Mystrical Herb, unique Journal of Pharmaceutical abd Biological Sources 2014. 2(2) 68- 70
17. Sharma Poonam and Majee Chandana., A Review on Anticancer Natural Drugs, International Journal Pharma Tech Research. 20158(7), pp 131-141.
18. Thaneshwar Subedi, Phytochemical Studies of Taxus Species and Their Uses in Cancer Treatment: Review Article, Janapriya Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies Vol. 6, 2017.
19. Wesam Kooti, Karo Servatyari, Masoud Behzadifar, Majid Asadi Samani, Fatemeh Sedeghi, Bijan Nouri, Hadi Zare Marzouri, Effective Medicinal Plant in Cancer Treatment, Part 2: Review Study, Journal of Evidence Based Integrative Medicine, 2017.