Herbal medicine refers to the use of any plant's seeds, berries, roots, leaves, bark, or flowers for medicinal purposes. The objective of the study was to formulate and evaluate the antimicrobial herbal ointment from ethanolic extracts of leaves of Colocasia esculenta. The ointment base was created, and the ointment was made by using the levigation process to incorporate the extract into the base. It was assessed for physicochemical criteria such as colour, odour, pH, spreadability, extrudability, consistency, diffusion studies, solubility, and washability once the formulation was completed. The formulation was further tested for stability at various temperatures, revealing no differences in irritancy, spreadability.
Cite this article:
Mohini Shelke, Pankaj Sonawane, Ganesh Bharskar, S. D. Mankar. Formulation and Evaluation of Antimicrobial Herbal Ointment containing Colocasia esculenta. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2022; 14(4):277-0. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2022.00048
Mohini Shelke, Pankaj Sonawane, Ganesh Bharskar, S. D. Mankar. Formulation and Evaluation of Antimicrobial Herbal Ointment containing Colocasia esculenta. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2022; 14(4):277-0. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2022.00048 Available on: https://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-14-4-9
1. Dutta S and Aich B: A study of antibacterial and antifungal activity of the leaves of Colocasia esculenta linn. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017; 8(3): 1184-87.
2. Patil BR, Ageely HM. Antihepatotoxic Activity of Colocasia esculenta Leaf Juice. Int J Adv Biotechnol Res. 2011; 2(2): 296–304
3. Gonzalez ACDO, Andrade ZDA, Costa TF, Medrado ARAP. Wound healing - A literature review. an Bras Dermatol. 2016; 91(5): 614–20.
4. Sheth AK (2005) The herbs of ayurveda. AK Sheth Publishers, Ahmedabad
5. Noda Y, Kaneyuki T, Mori A, Packer L (2002) Antioxidant activities of pomegranate fruitextract and its anthocyanidins: delphinidin, cyanidin and pelargonidin. J Agric Food Chem 50:166–171
6. Kowalczyk E, Kopff A, Fijalkowski P, Niedworok J, Blaszczyk J et al (2003) Effects of anthocyanins on selected biochemical parameters in rats exposed to cadmium. Acta Biochim Pol 50:543–548
7. Annan NT, Plahar WA Development and Quality Evaluation of a Soy-Fortified Ghanaian Weaning Food. United Nations University Press, Tokyo, (1995).
8. Dubois M, Savage GP, The effect of soaking and cooking on the oxalate content of taro leaves. Int. J. Food Sci. Nut; (2006).
9. Deepak Prashar and Sanjay Saklani. "Pharmaceutical and Economical Aspects of Medicinal Herbs: An Overview". Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2011; 3(5):187-190.