Pawan N. Karwa, Krushna K. Zhambare, Pooja B. Rathod, Pallavi S. Shinde
Mr. Pawan N. Karwa1*, Mr. Krushna K. Zhambare2, Miss. Pooja B. Rathod1, Miss Pallavi S. Shinde
1Student, Gurukrupa Institute of Pharmacy (DEGREE), Near Chatrapatthi Sugar Factory, NH- 222 Gadi Road, Majalgaon - 431131, Maharashtra.
2SBSPM’S B - Pharmacy College, Ambajogai-431517, Maharashtra.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
The use of the herbal medicine to cure any ailment or disease has along background. It is a mythological belief among the people to use the herb as a source of medicine. The use of herb was done more in the ancient time. Currently the demand of the society is to get a drug for their disease which must show quick action but on the conrary it must have no or very less side efects. So there have been various studies over the different plants which shows the different pharmacological actions. Amongthse one is the ethno medicinally important plants called Cocciniagrandisbelonging to the family Cucurbitaceae. It is a dioecious, perennial and herbaceous climber possessing with the glabrous stems and tuberous roots. Traditionally its various parts are beneficial in folklore medicine for various purposes. Inan view to describe the varius medicinal significance of the plant this review is an effort to compile all the information reported on its ethnobotanical, phytochemical and pharmacological activities. Also, this work attempts readers to get the knowledge regarding the potential in preventing and treating several common diseases. Many pharmacological studies have reported the ability of this plant to exhibit analgesic, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiulcer, antidiabetic, antioxidant, hypoglycemic, hepatoprotective, antidyslipidemic, anticancer, antitussive activities.
Cite this article:
Pawan N. Karwa, Krushna K. Zhambare, Pooja B. Rathod, Pallavi S. Shinde. Cocciniagrandis: A Mini Review. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2021; 13(1):27-32. doi: 10.5958/0975-4385.2021.00005.4
Pawan N. Karwa, Krushna K. Zhambare, Pooja B. Rathod, Pallavi S. Shinde. Cocciniagrandis: A Mini Review. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2021; 13(1):27-32. doi: 10.5958/0975-4385.2021.00005.4 Available on: https://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-1-5
1. Amir Hossain, Sr. N. Uddin, Md. Abu Salim, Razaul Haque, Phytochemical and Pharmacological screening of Cocciniagrandis Linn, Journal of Scientific and Innovative Research 2014; 3 (1): 65.
2. Prashant Sakharkar, Balwantsinh Chauhan, Antibacterial, antioxidant and cell proliferative properties of Cocciniagrandis fruits, Original Research Article, Avicenna J Phytomed, 2017; 7 (4): 295.
3. Mala P., Arora G, and Sunita S, Coccina Grandis voigt: A Chemo profile study, Bionano Frontier Vol. 7 (2) January-June 2014 page no 108 www.bionanofrontier.org.
4. Pekamwar S.S*, Kalyankar T.M., and Kokate S.S., Pharmacological Activities of Coccinia Grandis: Review, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, May, 2013, Vol. 3 (05), pp. 114-119. Available online at http://www.japsonline.com
5. Dr. Manju Maria Mathews*, Betsy Sunny, A Compendious Write-Up on Cocciniagrandis P, Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res., Review Article, 54(2), January - February 2019; Article No. 07, Page no: 29-36.
6. Y. Harshitha*, NL. Prasanthi and N. Ramarao, Coccina Grandis: A Pharmaceutical Review, International Journal of Pharma and Chemical Research, Apr-Jun 2018, Volume 4, Issue 2, page no: 117-118.
7. Tamilselvan N, Thirumalai T, Elumalai EK, Balaji R, David E, Pharmacognosy of Cocciniagrandis: a review, al./Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine (2011) page no- S299 -S302.
8. U.A. Deokate*, S.S. Khadabadi, Pharmacology and Photochemistry of CoccinaIndica, Pharmacophore 2012, Vol. 3 (3), 179.
9. Dr. Basavaraj S Adi and Dr. Siva Rami Reddy E, A natural gift-Cephalandraindica, International Journal of Homoeopathic Sciences 2017; 1(1): 05-07.
10. lagarraja M*, Rasika T, Monika G, Rajesh R, Rajavel E, ArunachalamG, Senthilkumar M.K, SumathiM, Rao KNV, Updated Review on Pharmacognosy, Phytochemistry and Pharmacological Studies of CocciniaIndica, International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, (2017), 8(1), 54 -55.
11. R. Muniappan, G. V. P. Reddy, and A. Raman, Cocciniagrandis (L.) Voigt (Cucurbitaceae), Biological Control of Tropical Weeds using Arthropods, Cambridge University Press. ªCambridge University Press, 2009.
12. Immanuel Sagayaraj M and Nanditha V, Morpho-anatomical and histochemical studies on Cocciniagrandis (L.) Voigt. (Cucurbitaceae), Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2019; 8(3): page no 4296.
13. Varuna V.*, Coccina Grandis L Voiget-Review, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, Volume 7, Issue 12, Page no-188 to 198.
14. Shishir Ahmed Sikta, Jerin Mahbub, Rubina Ahmed Mou, Kaniz Taskina Trisha, Pritesh Ranjan Dash, Ethnomedical profile of different parts of Cocciniacordifolia: A review, International Journal of Medical and Health Research, Volume 4; Issue 2; February 2018; Page No. 130-136, www.medicalsciencejournal.com.
15. Pekamwar S.S*, Kalyankar T.M., and Kokate S.S., Pharmacological Activities of Coccinia Grandis: Review, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science May, 2013, Vol. 3 (05), pp. 114-119.
16. Mayank Kumar, Shashi Alok, Sanjay Kumar Jain, Amita Verma, Alok Mahor, Monika Sabharwal, Morphology, pharmacological activity, pharmaceutical preparation, doses and side effect of Cocciniaindica (Wight andArn.): An overview, Journal of Coastal Life Medicine 2013; 1(4): 330-337.
17. CocciniagrandisIvy gourd Cucurbitaceae, Forest Starr, Kim Starr, and Lloyd Loope, United States Geological Survey-Biological Resources Division, Haleakala Field Station, Maui, Hawai'I January, 2003.
18. HarineSargunam, J.IVY Gourd- Medicinal and nutritional values, International Journal of Current Research, March, 2017, Vol. 9, Issue, 03, pp.47604-47607 Available online at http://www.journalcra.com.
19. Chidamabaram R., Lakshmi Devi R., Senthamil Selvi R., Alagendran S. and Anusha Bhaskar, Protective effect of Cocciniagrandis [L] against (Diethylnitrosamine) DEN induced Heptotoxicity in Wistar Albino Rats, Library, Der Pharmacia Lettre, Scholars Research, 2016, 8 (6):160 (http:// scholarsresearchlibrary.com/archive.html)