Maheshwari Choudhari, Vishal Rasve, Shilpa Khilare, Poonam Ghorpade
Maheshwari Choudhari1, Vishal Rasve2*, Shilpa Khilare3, Poonam Ghorpade4
1,2,3,4SAJVPM’S, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research Center, Kada, Beed, MH, India.
2Research Scholar, Oriental University, Indore.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
The most common method for identifying, separating, and measuring the medication is HPLC.To improve the approach, a variety of chromatographic factors including sample pretreatment, mobile phase selection, column selection, and detector selection were examined. Reviewing the technique creation, optimization, and validation is the article's main goal. The chemistry of the molecules, the synthetic pathway, solubility, polarity, pH and pKa values, and the activity of the functional groups are all factors that affect the creation of an HPLC technique. Information on several stages and properties including accuracy, specificity, linearity, limit of detection, and limit of quantification are provided through the validation of HPLC methods in accordance with ICH Guidelines1.
Cite this article:
Maheshwari Choudhari, Vishal Rasve, Shilpa Khilare, Poonam Ghorpade. A Review on Method Development of High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) and its Applications. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2023; 15(3):241-8. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2023.00038
Maheshwari Choudhari, Vishal Rasve, Shilpa Khilare, Poonam Ghorpade. A Review on Method Development of High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) and its Applications. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2023; 15(3):241-8. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2023.00038 Available on: https://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-3-10
1. Balamma G and Saravana Kumar A, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research, Publish by Vol 4, Issue 4, 221-238, 2014.
2. Mimasha Patel, Review on chromatography principle and Application, International Journal on Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Research, Vol.:13, Issue:4, November 2018.
3. The Nobel Prize In Chemistry in 1952 Nobelprize. Org. Retrieved 25 August
5. Dr.K.R. Mahadik, DR. L. Sathianarayan Instrumental method of analysis Mehta FA et al. Simultaneous Estimation of Ambrosol Hydrochloride and Doxycycline in Pharmaceutical Formulation by HPTLC-Densitometric Method. J Chromate Separation Technique. 2013; 4:168.
6. Ahir KB et al. Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin Hydrochloride and Repaglinide in Pharmaceutical Formulation by HPTLC-Densitometry Method. J Chromate Separation Technique. 2013; 4: 166.
7. Khodades S et al. A QSRR Study of Liquid Chromatography Retention Time of Pesticides using Linear and Nonlinear Chemo Metric Models. J Chromate Separation Technique. 2012; 3:149.
8. Hsieh CL et al. GC/MS Determination of N-butyl-N-(3-carboxypropyl) Nitrosamine (BCPN) in Bladder Cancers - The Skewed Molecular Interaction Caused Retention Time Shift. J Anal Bio anal Techniques. 2011; 1:115.
9. Vali SJ et al. Separation and Quantification of Octahydro-1h-Indole-2-Carboxilic Acid and Its Three Isomers by HPLC using Refractive Index Detector. J Chromate Separation Technique. 2012; 3:136.
10. Fayyad MK et al. Effect of Temperature, Wavelength, pH, Ion Pair Reagents and Organic Modifiers ‘Concentration on the Elution of Cystatin C. Stability of Mobile Phase. J Anal Bio anal Techniques. 2010; 1:103.
11. Mahanty A et al. GC-MS Fingerprinting of Fatty Acids of Freshwater MolluscLamell dens Marginaliseusing Different Columns, TR-Warms and TR-FAME. J Anal Bio anal Tech. 2015; 6: 238.
12. Hashish R. The Inefficacy of Cushioned Column Footwear in Preventing Ankle Inversion Sprains during Basketball Participation. J Nov Physiotherapy. 2015; 5: 259.
13. PraveenaCh et al. Phytochemical Investigation of Caliphyllidepiphyllum Linn. Nat Prod Chem Res.2013; 1: 119. Malawy MA. Editorial Column. J Tourism Hospital. 2013; 2: e123.
14. Uto T et al. Interaction Analysis of Glycyrrhizin on Lico rice Extract-Induced Apoptosis of Human Leukaemia Cells by Knockout Extract. Nat Prod Chem Res. 2013; 1: 105.
15. Sulaimon AH et al. Column Biosorption of Lead, Cadmium, Copper, and Arsenic ions onto Algae. J Bioprocess Biotech. 2013; 3: 128
16. Ndorbor T et al. Chromatographic and Molecular Simulation Study on the Chiral Recognition of AtracuriumBesylate Positional Isomers on Cellulose Tri- 3, 5-Dimethylphenycarbamate (CDMPC) Column and its Recognition Mechanism. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2013; 4: 176.
18. Buffers and pH Buffers: available from: www.xtremepapers.com.
19. Ranjit Singh. HPLC method development and validation. J Pharm Educt Res2013; 4(1):26-33.
20. Sabir AM, MolonyParminder SB. HPLC Method Development and validation: A Review. International research Journal of pharmacy. 2013; 4(4):39-46.
21. Noman A, Buk Haiti AL Wedad Q, LafargaAadyshri M, Mahdi AA. And Waleed AA. HPLC technique used in food Analysis-Review. International Journal of Agriculture Innovations and Research. 2016; 5(2):181-188.
22. Snyder LR, Kirkland JJ, Dolan JW. Introduction to modern liquid chromatography. John Wiley & Sons. New York. 2011.
23. Xiang Y, Liu Y, Lee ML. Ultrahigh pressure liquid chromatography using elevated temperature. Journal of Chromatography. 2006; 1104(1): 198-202.
24. Horvath CG, Preiss BA, Lipsky SR. Fast liquid chromatography. Investigation of operating parameters and the separation of nucleotides on pellicular ion exchangers. Analytical chemistry, 1967; 39(12): 1422-1428.
25. Pratap B. Et al. Importance of RP-HPLC in Analytical method development: A review. International Journal of Novel Trends in Pharmaceutical Sciences 2013; 3(1): 15-23.
26. Lindholm J. Development and Validation of HPLC method for Analytical and Preparative Purpose. Acta Universities Salineses Uppsala. 2004; 13-14.
27. Snyder LR, Kirkland JJ, Gluch JL. Practical HPLC Method Development, 2nd edition. New York. John Wiley &Sons. 1997; 233-29
28. Mukta Gupta, Bhupinder Kapoor, Reena Gupta, Paper Chromatography: A Review, JETIR, JETIR, Volume 5, Issue 10, October 2018.
29. Sneha Lakshmi R.P., A Review on Chromatography with High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) and its Functions, Research and Reviews: Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis RRJPA, Volume 4, Issue 1, March, 2015.
30. LodhaLuxminarayan, Sharma Neha, Viswas Amit, Dr. Khinchi M.P., a review on chromatography techniques, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Vol. 5 (2):1-08, March–April. 2017.
31. Rogatsky E. 2D Or Not 2D. Column-Switching Techniques, Multidimensional Separations and Chromatography: Approaches and Definitions. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2012; 3:159.
32. Al-Sagar KA and Smyth MR. Multi-Dimensional Column Chromatographic Method with UV Detection, for the Determination of Propranolol at Therapeutic Levels in Human Plasma. Pharmaceut Anal Acta. 2012; 3: 197.
33. Ndorbor T et al. Chromatographic and Molecular Simulation Study on the Chiral Recognition of AtracuriumBesylate Positional Isomers on Cellulose Tri- 3, 5-Dimethylphenycarbamate (CDMPC) Column and its Recognition Mechanism. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2013; 4: 176.
34. Hua Z et al. Extraction and Purification of Anthocyanins from the Fruit Residues of Vacciniumuliginosum Linn. J Chromat Separation Techniq. 2013; 4: 167.
35. Rao BV, SowjanyaGN, Ajitha A, Rao Uma MV. A review on stability indicating HPLC method development, World journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.2015; 4(8):405-423.
36. Rajan HV. Development and validation of HPLC method - A Review.International Journal of current research in pharmacy. 2015;1(2):55-68.
37. Kumar V, Bharadwaj R, Gupta G, Kumar S. An Overview on HPLC Method Development, Optimization and Validation process for drug analysis. The Pharmaceutical and Chemical Journal. 2015; 2(2):30-40.
38. Gupta V, Jain AD, Gill NS, Gupta K. Development and validation of HPLC method - a review. International Research Journal of Pharmaceutical and Applied Sciences. 2012; 2(4):17-25.
39. Sonia K, Nappinnai M. Development and validation of HPLC and UV-visible spectrophotometric method for the pharmaceutical dosage form and biological fluid –review. European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical sciences. 2016; 3(3): 382-391.
40. Yogini S. Jaiswal, Pratima A. Tatke, Satish Y.Gabhe, Ashok B. Vaidya. Isolation and Quantitative Analysis of a Bioactive Polyphenol - Catechin in Anacardiumoccidentale Linn. (Leaves and Testa) by HPLC Analysis. Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2010; 2(5): 372-376.
41. NishantNandkhile, SachinVanpure, PrathmeshKhetmalis, Rahul Bhondwe. Spectroscopic Analysis and ADME Studies of Phytochemicals in Methanolic Leaves Extract of SonneratiaapetalaBuch.-Ham. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2022; 14(3):155-2.
42. Lovly M. S., Merlee Teresa M. V.. Phytochemical and Physico-chemical characterization with Amino acid profile of Nypafruticans, Wurmb. from Kerala. Res. J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochem. 2018; 10(4): 304-310. DOI: 10.5958/0975-4385.2018.00049.3
43. B. Siddartha, I. SudheerBabu, A. Krupalini, PrathyushaV.. Development and Validation of UV– Spectrophotometric Method of Tolterodine in bulk and harmaceutical Dosage Form. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 3(3): July-Sept. 2013; Page 102-104.
44. Janmajoy Banerjee, H. Padmalatha, Rahul, RanabirChanda. Method Development and Validation for the Simultaneous Estimation of Eplarestat and Pragabalin in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulation by using RP-HPLC. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2018; 8(3): 174-180. DOI: 10.5958/2231-5675.2018.00032.7.
45. Ganesh Akula, P. Rajashekar, Rangu Nirmala, K. Kanakaiah, A. Jaswanth. Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Omeprazole and Ofloxacin by using RP-HPLC. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2018; 8(3): 153-156. DOI: 10.5958/2231-5675.2018.00028.5
46. Srivastava Bimal Kumar, KushwahDharmendra Kumar, Kolhe Prakash Yashwant, Patel Nitin. Validated HPLC Method for Determination of Contents of Residual Aminoguanidine in Drug Substances. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.3 (4): Oct.-Dec.2010; Page 1058-1060.
47. Deepa R. Patel, Laxmanbhai J. Patel, Madhabhai M. Patel. Stability Indicating HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Glimepride, Pioglitazone Hydrochloride and Metformin Hydrochloride in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(4): April 2011; Page 606-611.
48. M. Padmalatha, SyedaKulsum, K. Vanitha Prakash. High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Estimation of Prulifloxacin in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(5): May 2011; Page 759-761.
49. L. Satyanarayana, S.V. Naidu, M. Narasimha Rao, L. Rishi Priya, K. Suresh. The Estimation of Entecavir in Tablet Dosage Form by RP-HPLC. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(11): Nov. 2011; Page 1699-1701.
50. T. Sudha, P. Shanmugasundram. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC and HPTLC Chromatographic Methods of Analysis for the Quantitative Estimation of Raltegravir Potassium in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(11): Nov. 2011; Page 1746-1750.