Sourav Chakraborty, Sumedha Saha, Malay Bhattacharya
Sourav Chakraborty1,2, Sumedha Saha1, Malay Bhattacharya1*
1Molecular Biology and Tissue Culture Laboratory, Department of Tea Science, University of North Bengal, Siliguri, Darjeeling, West Bengal, India, 734013.
2Post Graduate Department of Botany, Darjeeling Government College, Darjeeling, West Bengal, India, 734101.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
Silver nanoparticles (AgNP’s) are 1 - 100nm sized constituents providing additional surface area in formation of plentiful coordinate bonds with various ligands. Green mode of AgNP’s synthesis has aided in development of advanced formulations towards treating complex human ailments. Herpetospermum darjeelingense (C.B.Clarke) H. Schaef. and S.S. Renner is an under investigated endemic ethnomedicinally significant cucurbit climber with no work based on synthesis and exploration of biogenic AgNP’s being conducted previously employing its solvent extracts. This paper aims to provide insights on the green synthesized AgNP’s besides studying its antimicrobial, antioxidant and hepatoprotective efficacy. Methanolic extracts of H. darjeelingense were utilized to synthesize AgNP’s via reduction of silver nitrate following UV-Visible spectroscopic and scanning electron microscopic characterization depicting surface plasmon resonance bands at around 430nm wavelength with spherical to cubical shaped AgNP’s ranging between 40–80nm. The methanol based sample extracts did not portray any inhibition zone in antimicrobial assay with the AgNP’s showing considerable zone of inhibition against Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus indicating anti-microbial effectiveness of silver nano formulations. The highest free radical scavenging potential was shown by 50mg/ml (91.99%) silver nano formulation with minimal being recorded in 12.5mg/ml (50.11%) nanoparticle concentrate including a noted gradual increase in anti-lipid peroxidation ability from 12.5mg/ml (7.157±0.08273mg/ml Tocopherol equivalent) to 50mg/ml (18.128±0.03152mg/ml Tocopherol equivalent) nanoparticle formulation clearly portraying statistically significant elevated results in comparison to plain sample extracts depicting its anticipated usage in pharmaceutical applications concerning antibacterial, antioxidative and hepatoprotective features.
Cite this article:
Sourav Chakraborty, Sumedha Saha, Malay Bhattacharya. Synthesized green silver nano particles of Herpetospermum darjeelingense shows enhanced In vitro Antimicrobial, Antioxidant and Hepatoprotective activity. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2023; 15(4):281-7. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2023.00044
Sourav Chakraborty, Sumedha Saha, Malay Bhattacharya. Synthesized green silver nano particles of Herpetospermum darjeelingense shows enhanced In vitro Antimicrobial, Antioxidant and Hepatoprotective activity. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2023; 15(4):281-7. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2023.00044 Available on: https://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-4-3
1. Graf C, Vossen DL, Imhof A, van Blaaderen A. A general method to coat colloidal particles with silica. Langmuir. 2003; 19(17): 6693-6700. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/la0347859
2. Cassano D, Mapanao AK, Summa M, Vlamidis Y, Giannone G, Santi M, Guzzolino E, Pitto L, Poliseno L, Bertorelli R, Voliani V. Biosafety and biokinetics of noble metals: the impact of their chemical nature. ACS Applied Bio Materials. 2019; 2(10):4464-4470. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsabm.9b00630
3. Mahaparale SP, Kore RS. Silver nanoparticles: synthesis, characterization, application, future outlook. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2019; 9(3):181-189. doi: https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2019.00029.7
4. Bachhav PA, Shroff RM, Shirkhedkar AA. Silver nanoparticles: A comprehensive review on mechanism, synthesis and biomedical applications. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020; 10(3): 202-212. doi: https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5691.2020.00035.0
5. Jamal A, Maqsood A. Review of synthesis of silver nanoparticles from different medicinal plants and their pharmacological activities. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 11(1): 88-93. doi: https://doi.org/10.5958/2231-5713.2021.00015.5
6. Chakraborty S, Majumder S, Ghosh A, Saha S, Bhattacharya M. Metabolomics of potential contenders conferring antioxidant property to varied polar and non-polar solvent extracts of Edgaria darjeelingensis CB Clarke. Bulletin of the National Research Centre. 2021; 45(1):1-12. doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s42269-021-00503-3
7. Zhang QW, Lin LG, Ye WC. Techniques for extraction and isolation of natural products: A comprehensive review. Chinese medicine. 2018; 13: 1-26. doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13020-018-0177-X
8. Alagumuthu G, Kirubha R. Biogenic Synthesis of silver Nanoparticles using Aegle marmelos fruit extract and their antibacterial potential. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2013; 6(9):839-844.
9. Karthick K, Kumaravel P, Hemalatha P, Thamaraiselvi L. Mechanistic aspects: Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles from Proteus mirabilis and its antimicrobial study. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2013;5(2):235-238.
10. Manimaran T, Sudhakar T, Nanda A, Bhat MA, Varghese A. Biosynthesis of green nanoparticles from Ocimum sanctum and their characterization. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 9(4):397-400. doi: https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2016.00072.X
11. Sarkar MK, Vadivel V, Raja MR, Mahapatra SK. Potential anti-proliferative activity of AgNPs synthesized using M. longifolia in 4T1 cell line through ROS generation and cell membrane damage. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology. 2018 Sep 1; 186: 160-168. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2018.07.014
12. Thiruppathi C, Kumaravel P, Duraisamy R, Prabhakaran AK, Jeyanthi T, Sivaperumal R, Karthick PA. Biofabrication of silver nanoparticles using Cocculus hirsutus leaf extract and their antimicrobial efficacy. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 3(3): 93-97.
13. Kumar SS, Melchias G, Ravikumar P, Chandrasekar R, Kumaravel P. Bioinspired synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Euphorbia hirta leaf extracts and their antibacterial activity. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2014; 4(1):39-43.
14. Asha S, Thirunavukkarasu P, Rajeshkumar S. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Mirabilis jalapa aqueous extract and their antibacterial activity against respective microorganisms. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017;10(3):811-817. doi: https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00153.X
15. Tyagi S, Alam T, Khan MA, Tarannum H, Chauhan N. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using medicinal plant Anacyclus pyrethrum and its antibacterial efficacy. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2018; 11(3): 515-520. doi: https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-4150.2018.00092.5
16. Chaturvedi V, Kaore SN, Kaore NM, Kaur S, Gautam SK. Evaluation of the antimicrobial property of green tea extract and its synergistic effect on antimicrobials showing resistance in clinical isolates of a tertiary care hospital. Journal of Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences. 2019; 24(1):33-38. doi: https://doi.org/10.4103/jmgims.jmgims_56_18
17. Das D, Ghosh R, Mandal P. Biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles using S1 genotype of Morus alba leaf extract: characterization, antimicrobial and antioxidant potential assessment. SN Applied Sciences. 2019; 1: 1-16. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s42452-019-0527-z
18. Bhattacharya M, Mandal P, Sen A. In vitro detection of antioxidants in different solvent fractions of Ginger (Zingiber officinale Rosc.). Indian Journal of Plant Physiology. 2009;14(1):23-27.
19. Dhalwal K, Deshpande YS, Purohit AP, Kadam SS. Evaluation of the Antioxidant Activity of Sida cordifolia. Pharmaceutical Biology. 2005; 43(9):754-761. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/13880200500406438
20. Mandal P, Misra TK, Ghosal M. Free-radical scavenging activity and phytochemical analysis in the leaf and stem of Drymaria diandra Blume. International Journal of Integrative Biology. 2009;7(2):80-84.
21. Bose D, Chatterjee S. Antibacterial activity of green synthesized silver nanoparticles using Vasaka (Justicia adhatoda L.) leaf extract. Indian Journal of Microbiology. 2015; 55(2): 163-167. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12088-015-0512-1
22. Ibrahim HM. Green synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using banana peel extract and their antimicrobial activity against representative microorganisms. Journal of Radiation Research and Applied Sciences. 2015; 8(3):265-275. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrras.2015.01.007
23. Baker C, Pradhan A, Pakstis L, Pochan DJ, Shah SI. Synthesis and antibacterial properties of silver nanoparticles. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2005; 5(2):244-249. doi: https://doi.org/10.1166/jnn.2005.034
24. Flores-López NS, Cortez-Valadez M, Moreno-Ibarra GM, Larios-Rodríguez E, Torres-Flores EI, Delgado-Beleño Y, Martinez-Nuñez CE, Ramírez-Rodríguez LP, Arizpe-Chávez H, Castro-Rosas J, Ramirez-Bon R. Silver nanoparticles and silver ions stabilized in NaCl nanocrystals. Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures. 2016; 84: 482-488. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physe.2016.07.012
25. Kar P, Banerjee S, Chhetri A, Sen A. Synthesis, physicochemical characterization and biological activity of synthesized Silver and Rajat Bhasma nanoparticles using Clerodendrum inerme. Journal of Phytology. 2021; 13: 64-71. doi: https://doi.org/10.25081/jp.2021.v13.7026