Saba Khan, Payaam Vohra, Indira Parab
Saba Khan1, Payaam Vohra2, Indira Parab3
1M Pharm Final Year Student, H K College of Pharmacy, Jogeshwari (West), Mumbai – 400 102.
2Final Year B Pharmacy Student, H K College of Pharmacy, Jogeshwari (West), Mumbai – 400 102.
3HOD Pharmaceutics, H K College of Pharmacy, Jogeshwari (West), Mumbai – 400 102.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
Moringa has majorly antifungal, antiviral, antidepressant, and anti-inflammatory properties. This article briefly discusses the incorporation of M. species in a formulation and comprehensive advantages of the same. The aim of this review is to focus the use of Moringa oleifera as a potential ingredient in food products. Moringa oleifera is recognized as an excellent source of phytochemicals, with potential applications in functional and medicinal food preparations due to its nutritional and medicinal properties.
Cite this article:
Saba Khan, Payaam Vohra, Indira Parab. Moringa oleifera A Boon in Pharmaceutical Market. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2023; 15(2):155-0. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2023.00024
Saba Khan, Payaam Vohra, Indira Parab. Moringa oleifera A Boon in Pharmaceutical Market. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2023; 15(2):155-0. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2023.00024 Available on: https://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-2-10
1. Adekanmi AA, Adekanmi SA, Adekanmi OS. Qualitative and quantitative phytochemical constituents of Moringa leaf. International Journal of Engineering and Information Systems. 2020; 4(5):10-7.
2. Bhattacharya A, Tiwari P, Sahu PK, Kumar S. A review of the phytochemical and pharmacological characteristics of Moringa oleifera. Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences. 2018 Oct; 10(4):181.
3. Rockwood JL, Anderson BG, Casamatta DA. Potential uses of Moringa oleifera and an examination of antibiotic efficacy conferred by M. oleifera seed and leaf extracts using crude extraction techniques available to underserved indigenous populations. International Journal of Phytotherapy Research. 2013 Jan; 3(2):61-71.
4. Leone A, Spada A, Battezzati A, Schiraldi A, Aristil J, Bertoli S. Moringa oleifera seeds and oil: Characteristics and uses for human health. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2016 Dec 20; 17(12):2141.
5. Jung IL. Soluble extract from Moringa oleifera leaves with a new anticancer activity. PloS one. 2014 Apr 18; 9(4):e95492.
6. Aronson D, Rayfield EJ. How hyperglycemia promotes atherosclerosis: molecular mechanisms. Cardiovascular diabetology. 2002 Dec; 1(1):1-0.
7. Manohar VS, Jayasree T, Kishore KK, Rupa LM, Dixit R, Chandrasekhar N. Evaluation of hypoglycemic and antihyperglycemic effect of freshly prepared aqueous extract of Moringa oleifera leaves in normal and diabetic rabbits. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2012; 4(1):249-53.
8. Waterman C, Rojas‐Silva P, Tumer TB, Kuhn P, Richard AJ, Wicks S, Stephens JM, Wang Z, Mynatt R, Cefalu W, Raskin I. Isothiocyanate‐rich Moringa oleifera extract reduces weight gain, insulin resistance, and hepatic gluconeogenesis in mice. Molecular nutrition & food research. 2015 Jun; 59(6):1013-24
9. Agrawal B, Mehta A. Antiasthmatic activity of Moringa oleifera Lam: A clinical study. Indian Journal of pharmacology. 2008 Jan; 40(1):28.
10. Nadkarni KM. [Indian materia medica]; Dr. KM Nadkarni's Indian materia medica: with Ayurvedic, Unani-Tibbi, Siddha, allopathic, homeopathic, naturopathic & home remedies, appendices & indexes. 1. Popular Prakashan; 1996.
11. Faizi S, Siddiqui BS, Saleem R, Aftab K, Shaheen F. Hypotensive constituents from the pods of Moringa oleifera. Planta medica. 1998 Apr; 64(03):225-8.
12. Fahad JF, Kumar MS, Kodancha GP, Adarsh B, Udupa AL, Rathnakar UP. Antiurolithiatic activity of aqueous extract of bark of Moringa oleifera (Lam.) in rats. Health. 2010; 2(4):352-5.
13. Patel P, Patel N, Patel D, Desai S, Meshram D. Phytochemical analysis and antifungal activity of Moringa oleifera. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 6(5):144-7.
14. Tian X, Tang H, Lin H, Cheng G, Wang S, Zhang X. Saponins: The potential chemotherapeutic agents in pursuing new anti-glioblastoma drugs. Mini reviews in medicinal chemistry. 2013 Oct 1; 13(12):1709-24.
15. Lopez-Teros V, Ford JL, Green MH, Tang G, Grusak MA, Quihui-Cota L, Muzhingi T, Paz-Cassini M, Astiazaran-Garcia H. Use of a “super-child” approach to assess the vitamin A equivalence of Moringa oleifera leaves, develop a compartmental model for vitamin A kinetics, and estimate vitamin A total body stores in young Mexican children. The journal of nutrition. 2017 Dec 1; 147(12):2356-63.
16. Almatrafi MM, Vergara-Jimenez M, Murillo AG, Norris GH, Blesso CN, Fernandez ML. Moringa leaves prevent hepatic lipid accumulation and inflammation in guinea pigs by reducing the expression of genes involved in lipid metabolism. International journal of molecular sciences. 2017 Jun 22; 18(7):1330
17. Adeyemi OS, Elebiyo TC. Moringa oleifera supplemented diets prevented nickel-induced nephrotoxicity in wistar rats. Journal of nutrition and metabolism. 2014 Oct; 2014.
18. Monera TG, Maponga CC. Prevalence and patterns of Moringa oleifera use among HIV positive patients in Zimbabwe: a cross-sectional survey.Journal of public Health in Africa. 2012 Mar 7; 3(1).
19. Fuglie LJ. The Moringa Tree: a local solution to malnutrition. Church World Service in Senegal. 2005; 5:75-83.
20. Sutalangka C, Wattanathorn J, Muchimapura S, Thukham-mee W. Moringa oleifera mitigates memory impairment and neurodegeneration in animal models of age-related dementia. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity. 2013 Dec 23; 2013.
21. Mbikay M. Therapeutic potential of Moringa oleifera leaves in chronic hyperglycemia and dyslipidemia: a review. Frontiers in pharmacology. 2012 Mar 1; 3:24.
22. Ijarotimi OS, Adeoti OA, Ariyo O. Comparative study on nutrient composition, phytochemical, and functional characteristics of raw, germinated, and fermented Moringa oleifera seed flour. Food science & nutrition. 2013 Nov; 1(6):452-63.
23. Jung IL. Soluble extract from Moringa oleifera leaves with a new anticancer activity. PloS one. 2014 Apr 18; 9(4):e95492.
24. Choudhary MK, Bodakhe SH, Gupta SK. Assessment of the antiulcer potential of Moringa oleifera root-bark extract in rats. Journal of acupuncture and meridian studies. 2013 Aug 1; 6(4):214-20.
25. Josephine NK, Gabriel SB, Lonzy O, Joseph O, Jasper WO. Phytochemicals and uses of Moringa oleifera leaves in Ugandan rural communities. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2010 May 4; 4(9):753-7.
26. Kasolo JN, Bimenya GS, Ojok L, Ochieng J, Ogwal-Okeng JW. Phytochemicals and uses of Moringa oleifera leaves in Ugandan rural communities.
27. Thurber MD, Fahey JW. Adoption of Moringa oleifera to combat under-nutrition viewed through the lens of the “Diffusion of Innovations” theory. Ecology of food and nutrition. 2009 May 7; 48(3):212-25
28. Nair S, Varalakshmi KN. Anticancer, cytotoxic potential of Moringa oleifera extracts on HeLa cell line. J Nat Pharm. 2011 Jul 1; 2(3):138-42.
29. Imohiosen O, Gurama HH, Lamidi TB. Phytochemical and antimicrobial studies on Moringa oleifera leaves extracts. J. Environ. Sci. Toxicol. Food Technol. 2014 Feb; 8:39-45.
30. Abubakar I, Usman A. Phytochemical and antibacterial investigations of moringa (Moringa oleifera) leaf extract on selected bacterial pathogens. Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials. 2016 Jul 31; 8(5):28-33.
31. Bandaranayake WM. Quality control, screening, toxicity, and regulation of herbal drugs. Modern phytomedicine: turning medicinal plants into drugs. 2006 Sep 20:25-57.
32. Tadesse G, Reneela P, Dekebo A. Isolation and characterization of natural products from Helinus mystachnus (Rhamnaceae). J. Chem. Pharm. Res. 2012; 4(3):1756.
33. Temitope OO, Ajayi Ayodele O. Antimicrobial, phytochemical and proximate analysis of four Nigerian medicinal plants on some clinical microorganisms. Current Research in Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2014; 2(5):457-61.
34. Kumar KA, Sharvanee S, Patel J, Choudhary RK. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of the essential oil of Desmostachya bipinnata linn. International Journal of Phytomedicine. 2010 Oct 1; 2(4).
35. Olson ME. Combining data from DNA sequences and morphology for a phylogeny of Moringaceae (Brassicales). Systematic Botany. 2002 Jan; 27(1):55-73.
36. Lalas S, Tsaknis J. Characterization of Moringa oleifera seed oil variety “Periyakulam 1”. Journal of food composition and analysis. 2002 Feb 1; 15(1):65-77.
37. Sengupta ME, Keraita B, Olsen A, Boateng OK, Thamsborg SM, Pálsdóttir GR, Dalsgaard A. Use of Moringa oleifera seed extracts to reduce helminth egg numbers and turbidity in irrigation water. Water research. 2012 Jul 1; 46(11):3646-56.
38. Santos TR, Silva MF, Nishi L, Vieira A, Klein MR, Andrade MB, Vieira MF, Bergamasco R. Development of a magnetic coagulant based on Moringa oleifera seed extract for water treatment. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2016 Apr; 23(8):7692-700.
39. Arise AK, Arise RO, Sanusi MO, Esan OT, Oyeyinka SA. Effect of Moringa oleifera flower fortification on the nutritional quality and sensory properties of weaning food. Croatian journal of food science and technology. 2014 Dec 29; 6(2):65-71.
40. Aluko O, Brai MR, Adelore AO. Evaluation of sensory attributes of snack from maize-moringa seed flour blends. International Journal of Nutrition and Food Engineering. 2013 Sep 1; 7(10):944-6.
41. Owusu D, Oduro I, Ellis WO. Development of crackers from cassava and sweetpotato flours using Moringa oleifera and Ipomoea batatas leaves as fortificant. American Journal of Food and Nutrition. 2011; 1(3):114-22.
42. Soultan MY, Hervé MK, Alexis T. Effects of substituting soybean with Moringa oleifera meal in diets on laying and eggs quality characteristics of KABIR chickens. Animal Nutrition. 2015; 1(1):4.
43. Olugbemi TS, Mutayoba SK, Lekule FP. Effect of Moringa (Moringa oleifera) inclusion in cassava based diets fed to broiler chickens. International Journal of Poultry Science. 2010; 9(4):363-7.
44. Adejumo OE, Kolapo AL, Folarin AO. Moringa oleifera Lam.(Moringaceae) grown in Nigeria: In vitro antisickling activity on deoxygenated erythrocyte cells. Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences. 2012 Apr; 4(2):118.