Gayatri M. Penkar, Maithilee R. Salkar, Prachi S. Chavan, Maitrey S. Ambade, Sanchit A. Parab, Tejas S. Padte, Pallavi L. Salgoankar, Manasvi M. Sawant, Vijay A. Jagtap
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Gayatri M. Penkar, Maithilee R. Salkar, Prachi S. Chavan, Maitrey S. Ambade, Sanchit A. Parab, Tejas S. Padte, Pallavi L. Salgoankar, Manasvi M. Sawant, Dr. Vijay A. Jagtap*
Department of Pharmaceutics, Yashwantrao Bhonsale College of Pharmacy, Sawantwadi, University of Mumbai, Sawantwadi 416510, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
Hair is a thread-like structure numerously found in vertebrates. It is also considered as one of the symbols of beauty in humans. In this expeditious world, many problems associated with face (on the skin, eyebrows, lips) nails, hair etc. are seen. The provided information emphasizes on various herbal ingredient that owns numerous benefits for hairs and related hair complications in humans. Among various problems, people are experiencing many hairs related problems such as hair loss, split ends, dandruff, increased sebum production, hair thinning. Thus, people are looking for ways to increase hair conditions, prevention for hair associated problems and advanced care. The synthetic or the chemical products causes side effects and adverse effects when used, thus now people have high approach towards organic natural and herbal formulations that tends to show minimum side effects. Generally, herbal preparations are known for its “no side effects” property. Utilization of herbal components is extending progressively. Herbs acts as a source of medicinal properties, foods and supplements since ages. Several cosmetic products are present for hair care prepared from herbal and other natural origin. In contrast, synthetic products, herbal or organic formulations are good alternate that possess no/minimum side effects. In this review, various medicinal plants that own hair care properties are summarized accompanying their biological sources, active chemical constituents having hair care property and their uses.
Cite this article:
Gayatri M. Penkar, Maithilee R. Salkar, Prachi S. Chavan, Maitrey S. Ambade, Sanchit A. Parab, Tejas S. Padte, Pallavi L. Salgoankar, Manasvi M. Sawant, Vijay A. Jagtap. An Overview on Indian Herbs in Hair Care Therapy. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2023; 15(2):161-6. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2023.00025
Gayatri M. Penkar, Maithilee R. Salkar, Prachi S. Chavan, Maitrey S. Ambade, Sanchit A. Parab, Tejas S. Padte, Pallavi L. Salgoankar, Manasvi M. Sawant, Vijay A. Jagtap. An Overview on Indian Herbs in Hair Care Therapy. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2023; 15(2):161-6. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2023.00025 Available on: https://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-2-11
1. Ashwini S. Pundkar, et al. A Review: Herbal Therapy Used in Hair Loss. Pharmaceutical Resonance 2020 Vol.3 Issue 1.
4. M. Narshana and P. Ravikumar. An Overview of Dandruff and Novel Formulations as a Treatment Strategy. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2018; Vol. 9(2):417-431.
5. Ashwini S. Pundkar, et al. A Review: Herbal Therapy Used in Hair Loss. Pharmaceutical Resonance 202 Vol.3 Issue 1.
6. Mohammad A. Alzohairy. Therapeutics Role of Azadirachata indica (Neem) and Their Active Constituents in Diseases Prevention and Treatment. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Volume 2016, Article ID 7382506.
7. Christiane Schulz, Stephan Bielfeldt, Dr. Jiirgen Reimann. Fenugreek+ micronutrient: Efficacy of a Food Supplement against Hair Loss. Kosmetische Medizin. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251923543.
8. Nishant C. Suryawanshi, et al. Formulation and Evaluation of Herbal Hair Gel Containing Fenugreek Seeds Extract for Nourishment and Hair Growth. International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technnology. 2019 IJSRST Volume 6 Issue 4. doi: https://doi.org/10.32628/IJSRST196416.
9. Sujatha Ediriweera, et al. A Clinical Study on Efficacy of Siyakkai (Acacia concinna) Hair Wash on Daraunaka (Pitiriasis Capitis). Jour. of Ayurveda & Holistic Medicine. Volume II, Issue VII.
10. Laxmi S Joshi and Harshal A Pawar. Herbal Cosmetics and Cosmeceuticals: An Overview. Natural Products Chemistry & Research. 3: 170. doi: 10.4172/2329-6836.10000170.
11. Rini H. Templeton. Reetha and Shikakai as Natural Surfectants for Cleansing of Historic Textiles. International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews. Volume 5, Issue 2, April-june 2018.
12. Rashmi Saxena Pal, et al. Synthesis and Evaluation of Herbal Based Hair Die. The Open Dermatology Journal, 2018, Volume 12. doi: 10.2174/1874372201812010090,2018,12,90-98.
13. Ruchi Tiwari, et al. A Development and Evaluation of Herbal Hair Serum: A traditional way to Improve Hair Quality. The Open Dermatology Journal, 2021, Volume 15.
14. Pratiksha B.Deshmukh, Rutuja R. Khatode, Shital Gaikwad. Formulation and Evaluation of Herbal Hair Serum. International Journal of Advanced Research in Science, Communication and Technology (IJARSCT). Volume 2, Issue 5, June 2022. doi: 10.48175/IJARSCT-4843
15. Yogesh S Kolekar, et al. Medicinal Plants Used in Cosmetics for Skin and Hair Care. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Analysis. 2021; 8(2):36-40. doi: https:doi.org/10.18231/j.ijpca.2021.008.
16. Amit Gupta, et al. Indian Medicinal Plants Used in Hair Care Cosmetics: A Short Review. Pharmacognosy Journal. Vol 2, Issue 10, June, 2010 Page 361-364.
17. Laila Che Rose, et al. Potential Hair Growth of Crude Extract from Hibiscus rosa-sinensis Linn. Archives of Pharmacy Practice. Volume 11, Issue 4, October – December 2020.
18. Dr. N. Tamilselvan, et al. Development and Evaluation of Medicated Scalp Serum. International Journal of Creative Research Thoughts (IJCRT). Volume 10, Issue 4 April 2022.
19. Ashiya Chaugule, Suyash Zinjad, Rahul Lokhande. Formulation and Evaluation of Protective Role of Flaxseed Gel in Hair Growth, Nourishment and Anti-dandruff Activity. Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research (JETIR). 2022 JETIR June 2022, Volume 9, Issue 6.
20. Ruchi Tiwari, et al. Development and Evaluation of Herbal Hair Serum: A Traditional way to Improve Hair Quality. The Open Dermatology Journal. 2021, Volume 15. doi: 10.2174/1874372202115010052,2021,15,52-58.
21. Rashmi S. Pal, et al. Preparation & Assessment of Poly-Herbal Anti-Dandruff Formulation. The Open Dermatology Journal. 2020, Volume 14. doi: 10.2174/1874372202014010022,2020,14,22-27.
22. Laxmi S Joshi and Harshal A. Pawar. Herbal Cosmetics and Cosmeceuticals: An Overview. Natural Products Chemistry & Research. 3: 170. doi: 10.4172/2329-6836.1000170.
23. Sharma A., et al. Chemical Constituents and Activities of Genus Sapindus. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda & Pharmacy; 2(2), 2011 403-409.
24. Laurene Boateng, et al. Coconut Oil and Palm oil’s Role in Nutrition, Health and National Development: A Review. Ghana Med J 2016; 50(3): 189-196. doi- http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/gmj.v50i3.11.
25. Mini Priya Rajendran, et al. Chemical Composition, Antibacterial and Antioxidant Profile of Essential Oil from Murraya koenigii (L.) Leaves. Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine. Vol 4, No 3, May-Jun 2014.
26. A Review on Hair Conditioner Containing Curry Leaves, Amla, Aloe vera, Neem & Flaxseed. International Journal of Creative Research Thoughts (IJCRT). Volume 10, issue 1 January 2022
27. Ebrahim M. Yimer, et al. Nigella Satvia L (Black Cumin): A Promising Natural Remedy for Wide Range of Illness. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Volume 2019, Article ID 1528635. doi: https//doi.org/10.1155/2019/1528635.
30. Shifali Thakur, et al. Tulsi- A Review Based Upon Its Ayurvedic and Morden Therapeutic Uses. International Journal of Research and Review, doi: https//doi.org/10.52403/ijrr.20210534 vol.8; Issue: 5; May 2021.
31. Ashwini S. Pundkar, et al. A Review: Herbal Therapy Used in Hair Loss, Pharmaceutical Resonance 2020 Vol.3-Issue 1.