Nayana S. Baste, Ganesh. D. Basarkar
Nayana S. Baste, Dr. Ganesh. D. Basarkar
Department of Pharmaceutics, S.S.D.J. College of Pharmacy, Chandwad, Nasik, 423101, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
Natural polymers are the most accepted pharmaceutical excipients of formulator’s choice. The reasons for this are their cost effectiveness, biocompatibility and availability. In this research article natural gum was extracted from the seeds of Samanea saman by using ethanol as a solvent. The physicochemical characterization like Loss on drying, Total ash and Acid insoluble ash, Swelling Index, Viscosity and qualitative evaluation of purified gum was done. The percent yield of gum was found to 6% w/w and the swelling index was found to be 18.5. Total ash value (7.5% w/w) and Acid insoluble ash value (1.4%w/w) shows purity of gum whereas 3.2% w/w loss on drying suggest low moisture content of gum. Chemical evaluation shows presence of carbohydrate. X ray diffraction graph of gum shows crystalline nature. The gum has average particle size 45.0±0.32 to 50±0.18µm, and the surface texture of the particles was found to be rough and irregular by scanning Electron Microscopy. Mucoadhesive property of gum was evaluated by Swelling index, Mucoadhesive force, Shear stress measurement. For this study polymeric tablet of gum with concentrations like 10%, 30%, 50%, 70% and 90 %w/w were formulated and the results shows best mucoadhesive and swelling property. From the above result the gum may be used in the formulation of mucoadhesive dosage form.
Cite this article:
Nayana S. Baste, Ganesh. D. Basarkar. Samanea saman: A Novel Mucoadhesive Gum. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2021; 13(2):57-2. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2021.00010
Nayana S. Baste, Ganesh. D. Basarkar. Samanea saman: A Novel Mucoadhesive Gum. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2021; 13(2):57-2. doi: 10.52711/0975-4385.2021.00010 Available on: http://rjpponline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-13-2-1
1. Dehghan MHG, Dandge BH, Gaikwad VM, Jagdale S. Bioadhesive Drug Delivery Systems - Background, Applications and Trends. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(1): Jan.-Mar.; Page 234-238.2. Choudhary PD Pawar HA. Recently Investigated Natural Gums and Mucilages as Pharmaceutical Excipients: An Overview. Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2014, Article ID 204849, 9 pages.
3. Darekar AB, Kahane JU Ashawat M, Chavan MJ, Saudagar RB. Plant Exudates and Mucilage as Pharmaceutical Excipients. Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education & Research. 2013; 3(4): 387-402.
4. Bangar B, Shinde N, Deshmukh S, Kale B. Natural Polymers in Drug Delivery Development. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology. 2014; 6(1): 54-57
5. Ogaji IJ, Nep EI., Audu-Peter JE. Advances in Natural Polymers as Pharmaceutical Excipients. Pharmaceutical Analytical acta, 2011; 3(1): 1-16.
6. Nagpal M, Agarwal G, Jain UK, Madan J. Extraction of Gum from Abelmoschus Esculentus: Physicochemical Peculiarity and Antioxidant Prepatent. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research.2017; 10(9):175-180.
7. Malviya R, Srivastava P, Kulkarni GT. Applications of Mucilages in Drug Delivery - A Review. Advances in Biological Research, 2011; 5 (1): 01-07,
8. Geeta GS, Suvarna CV. Reddy TKR. Pod extract of Samanea saman Jacq. (merr) as a substrate for fodder yeast production. 1990; 30: 309-313.
11. Farooq U, Malviya R, Sharma P. Extraction and Characterization of Artocarpus Integer Gum as Pharmaceutical Excipient. Polymer in Medicine, 2014; 44(2): 69–74.
12. Gayathri R, Ganapathy RS. Extraction and Characterization of The Gum Isolated from Araucaria Heterophylla. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2018; 9(3): 1062-1067.
13. Shukla A, Bishnoi RS, Kumar M, Jain CP. Isolation and characterization of natural and modified seed gum. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2019; 5(2): 409-418.
14. Enkataswamy M, Arul B, Keerthi S, Dinesh Mohan S, Vanitha K, Alluri R. Preparation and Evaluation of a Mucoadhesive Polymer from the Extract of Seeds of Annona squamosa Linn. Asian Journal of Research and Pharmaceutical Science. 2017; 7(3): 149-156.
15. Harikrishnan V, Madhusudhan S, Santhiagu A. Evaluation of a Novel, Natural Badam Gum as a Sustained Release and Mucoadhesive Component of Tizanidine HCl Buccal Tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2015; 5(2): 71-78.
16. Kambiz J. Isolation characterization of a new gum from Acanthophyllum bracteatum roots. Food Hydrocolloids, 2012, 27: 14-21
17. Nafee NA, Ismail FA, Boraie NA, Mortada LM. Mucoadhesive Delivery Systems. I. Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Polymers for Buccal Tablet Formulation. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2004; 30(9): 985-993.
18. Jangra S, Ahuja M, Kumar A. Evaluation of mucoadhesive property of Gum ghatti. Journal of Pharmaceutical Investigation, 2013, 43: 481–487.
19. Gangurde HH, Chordiya MA, Chordiya BP, Baste NS, Borkar VS. Isolation and Evaluation of Vigna Mungo Gum as a Novel Binder.,
20. Bal T, Murthy NP, Sengupta S. Isolation and Analytical Studies of Mucilage Obtained from the Seeds of Dillenia Indica (Family Dilleniaceae) by Use of Various Analytical Techniques. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2012; 5(3): 65-68.
21. Roldo M, Hornof M, Caliceti P, Schnurch AB. Mucoadhesive thiolated chitosans as platforms for oral controlled drug delivery: synthesis and in vitro evaluation. Eur Jour Pharm Biopharm. 2004; 57(1): 115-121.
22. Perioli L, Ambrogi V, Angelici F, Ricci M, Giovagnoli S, Capuccella M, Rossi C. Development of mucoadhesive patches for buccal administration of ibuprofen. J Control Release. 2004; 99: 73-82.
23. Eroglu M, Irmak. Acar A. Denkbas EB¸ Design and evaluation of a mucoadhesive therapeutic agent delivery system for postoperative chemotherapy in superficial bladder cancer. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 2002; 235: 51–59.
24. Bala R. Chary R, Vani G., and Madhusudan YR. In Vitro and In Vivo Adhesion Testing of Mucoadhesive Drug Delivery Systems. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 1999; 25(5): 685–690.
25. Shende MA, Marathe RP. Extraction of Mucilages and Its Comparative Mucoadhesive Studies from Hibiscus Plant Species. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 4(3): 900-924.
26. Malviya R. Extraction and characterization of selected gum as pharmaceutical excipients: Polymer Medcine 2011; 41(3), 39–44.
27. Nafee NA, Boraie NA, Ismail FA, Mortada LM. Design and characterization of mucoadhesive buccal patches containing cetylpyridium chloride. Acta Pharma. 2003; 53: 199-212.
28. Parodi B, Russa E, Caviglioli G, Cafaggi S, Bignardi G. Development and characterization of a buccoadhesive dosage form of oxycodone hydrochloride. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 1996; 22: 445-450.
29. Varma M, Singla AK, Dhwan S. Release of Diltiazem Hydrochloride from Hydrophilic matrices of polyethylene oxide and carbopol. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2004; 30(5): 545-553.
30. Park CR, Munday DL. Evaluation of Selected polysaccharide Excipients in Buccoadhesvie Tablets for Sustained release of Nicotine, Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2004; 30(6): 609-617.
31. Sanjib Bahadur, Ranabir Chanda, A. Roy, A. Choudhury, S. Das, S. Saha. Preparation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Microcapsules of Captopril for Oral Controlled Release. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 1(2): 100-105.
32. Jangdey MS, Gupta A, Sah AK. Development and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Sustained Release Tablet using Tamarindus indica Gum. Asian Journal of Research and Pharmaceutical Science. 2014; 4(2): 77-82.
33. Shende MA, Gupta PK. Formulation Development of Propranolol Hydrochloride Sustained Release Prunus amygdalus Gum Based Mucoadhesive Buccal Matrices. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 7 (4): 181-188.
34. Chanda R, Mahapatro SK, Mitra T, Roy A, Bahadur S. Development of Oral Mucoadhesive Tablets of Terbutaline Sulphate Using Some Natural Materials Extracted from Albelmoschus esculeatus and Tamarindus indica. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(1): 46-51.
35. Hingmire LP, Deshmukh VN, Sakarkar DM. Development and Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablets Using Natural Polymer as Release Modifier. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(3): 193-196.
36. Saisree R, Bhanja S, Das S, Bhavana. Sudhakar VM, Panigrahi BB. Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Microspheres of Valsartan. Research Journal Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(2): 669-677.